A group of 50 prominent Rhode Islanders purchased the estate and mansion of Colonel George L. Shepley, believing Warwick Neck to be the ideal location for a yacht club.
The club elected yachting officers, the first annual regatta was held marking the beginning of the Warwick Country and Yacht Club.
Legendary golf course architect Donald Ross was employed to design a golf course. Nine holes were constructed.
When the club was showing gradual recovery from the difficult time caused by the Great Depression, disaster struck in the form of a hurricane that destroyed the yacht area. By 1940, prosperity had returned and yachts were once again common in front of the club.
A hurricane struck and destroyed the club's dock, slips and boathouse. This marked the end of the yachting phase of the club's history.
Noted golf course architect, Geoffrey Cornish, was brought in for the construction of a second nine holes. In 1954, the day after the dedication of the new nine holes, Hurricane Carol struck with all its fury, but, once again, the members of Warwick Country Club cleaned up and rebuilt.
The following decades saw additions to the clubhouse, the construction of a swimming pool, and paddle tennis added to the Club's list of recreational activities.
Under the direction of golf course architect Ron Prichard, the Club undertook a project to restore its golf course to its original Donald Ross design.
Celebrating 100 years of resilience and community. Our membership is a diverse group of individuals and families who enjoy a safe and welcoming environment in the pursuit of sports and leisure. A family-centric approach at WCC ensures that families can enjoy quality time together and engage in a wide range of activities.